- Capital markets and corporate information
- International accounting and comparative economics
- Financial information, analysts and quantitative investment strategies
"The Economics of Disclosure and Financial Reporting Regulation: Evidence and Suggestions for Future Research." With Christian Leuz. Journal of Accounting Research, Vol. 54, May 2016.
"Cross-sectional Determinants of Information Quality Proxies and Cost of Capital Measures." With Michelle Liu. Quarterly Journal of Finance, 2016.
“New Institutional Accounting and IFRS.” Accounting and Business Research, Vol. 41, 2011.
“Accounting Anomalies and Fundamental Analysis: A Review of Recent Research Advances.” With Scott Richardson and Irem Tuna. Journal of Accounting and Economics, Vol. 50, December 2010.
“Global Accounting Convergence and the Potential Adoption of IFRS by the U.S. (Part I): Conceptual Underpinnings and Economic Analysis” with Luzi Hail and Christian Leuz. Accounting Horizons. Vol. 24, September 2010. [Winner of 2011 American Accounting Association/Deloitte “Wildman Medal Award” for research making the most significant contribution to the advancement of practice of public accountancy.]
“Global Accounting Convergence and the Potential Adoption of IFRS by the U.S. (Part II): Political Factors and Future Scenarios for U.S. Accounting Standards” with Luzi Hail and Christian Leuz. Accounting Horizons. Vol. 24, December 2010.
“Do Managers Withhold Bad News?” with SP Kothari and Susan Shu. Journal of Accounting Research Vol. 47, March 2009. [Winner of 2014 American Accounting Association/AICPA “Notable Contributions to Accounting Literature Award"]
“Expectations Management and Beatable Targets: How Do Analysts React to Explicit Earnings Guidance?” Contemporary Accounting Research 23, Fall 2006.
“Portfolio Preferences of Foreign Institutional Investors” with Reena Aggarwal and Leora Klapper. Journal of Banking and Finance, Vol. 29, December 2005.
“The Walkdown to Beatable Analyst Forecasts: The Roles of Equity Issuance and Insider Trading Incentives" with Scott Richardson and Siew Hong Teoh. Contemporary Accounting Research, Vol. 21, Winter 2004.
“Earnings Management and Investor Protection: An International Comparison” with Christian Leuz and Dhananjay Nanda. Journal of Financial Economics, Vol. 69, September 2003. [Winner of the 2014 American Accounting Association “Distinguished Contribution to Accounting Literature Award” for accounting research of exceptional merit that has significantly impacted the discipline over a period of at least five years.]
“Discretionary Disclosure and Stock-based Incentives” with Venky Nagar and Dhananjay Nanda. Journal of Accounting & Economics, Vol. 34, January 2003.
Teaching and Professional Experience
- Associate Professor of Accounting, MIT Sloan School of Management, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2005-2009
- Assistant Professor of Accounting, MIT Sloan School of Management, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2001-2005
- Assistant Professor of Accounting, University of Michigan School of Business, 1999-2001
- Lecturer, University of Michigan School of Business, 1998-1999
- Teaching specializations: Financial Statement Analysis (MBA), Intermediate Accounting (undergraduate), Capital Markets Research in Accounting (PhD)
- Ph.D., Business Administration, Accounting and Finance, William E. Simon Graduate School of Business Administration, University of Rochester, NY, 1999
- M.S., Business Administration (Accounting and Finance), Administration, University of Rochester, NY, 1997
- M.A., Economics, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, 1991
- B.Sc., Engineering Physics (Honors), Queen’s University, Kingston, Ontario, Canada, 1990
- Financial Accounting
- International Accounting
- Accounting and Institutions