- Capital markets and corporate information
- International accounting and comparative economics
- Financial information, analysts and quantitative investment strategies
“New Institutional Accounting and IFR.S” Accounting and Business Research, Forthcoming 2011.
“Accounting Anomalies and Fundamental Analysis: A Review of Recent Research Advances.” With Scott Richardson and Irem Tuna. Journal of Accounting and Economics, Vol. 50, December 2010.
“Global Accounting Convergence and the Potential Adoption of IFRS by the U.S. (Part I): Conceptual Underpinnings and Economic Analysis” with Luzi Hail and Christian Leuz. Accounting Horizons. Vol. 24, September 2010.
“Global Accounting Convergence and the Potential Adoption of IFRS by the U.S. (Part II): Political Factors and Future Scenarios for U.S. Accounting Standards” with Luzi Hail and Christian Leuz. Accounting Horizons. Vol. 24, December 2010.
“Corporate Compensation Policies and Audit Fees.” Journal of Accounting and Economics, Vol. 49, February 2010.
“Do Managers Withhold Bad News?” with SP Kothari and Susan Shu. Journal of Accounting Research Vol. 47, March 2009.
“Expectations Management and Beatable Targets: How Do Analysts React to Explicit Earnings Guidance?” Contemporary Accounting Research 23, Fall 2006.
“Portfolio Preferences of Foreign Institutional Investors” with Reena Aggarwal and Leora Klapper. Journal of Banking and Finance, Vol. 29, December 2005.
“The Walkdown to Beatable Analyst Forecasts: The Roles of Equity Issuance and Insider Trading Incentives" with Scott Richardson and Siew Hong Teoh. Contemporary Accounting Research, Vol. 21, Winter 2004.
“Earnings Management and Investor Protection: An International Comparison” with Christian Leuz and Dhananjay Nanda. Journal of Financial Economics, Vol. 69, September 2003. (Designated as a Journal of Financial Economics All Star Paper based on very high citation count).
“Discretionary Disclosure and Stock-based Incentives” with Venky Nagar and Dhananjay Nanda. Journal of Accounting & Economics, Vol. 34, January 2003.
Teaching and Professional Experience
- Associate Professor of Accounting, MIT Sloan School of Management, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2005-2009
- Assistant Professor of Accounting, MIT Sloan School of Management, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2001-2005
- Assistant Professor of Accounting, University of Michigan School of Business, 1999-2001
- Lecturer, University of Michigan School of Business, 1998-1999
- Teaching specializations: Financial Statement Analysis (MBA), Intermediate Accounting (undergraduate), Capital Markets Research in Accounting (PhD)
- Ph.D., Business Administration, Accounting and Finance, William E. Simon Graduate School of Business Administration, University of Rochester, NY, 1999
- M.S., Business Administration (Accounting and Finance), Administration, University of Rochester, NY, 1997
- M.A., Economics, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, 1991
- B.Sc., Engineering Physics (Honors), Queen’s University, Kingston, Ontario, Canada, 1990
- Financial Accounting
- International Accounting
- Accounting and Institutions