- Race and gender inequality
- Minimum wages
- Personnel economics
“Peer Effects and Multiple Equilibria in the Risky Behaviors of Friends” (with David Card), Forthcoming, Review of Economics and Statistics.
“Manager Ethnicity and Employment Segregation” (with Michael Ransom), Forthcoming, Industrial & Labor Relations Review.
“Minimum Wage Effects on Employment, Substitution, and the Teenage Labor Supply: Evidence from Personnel Data,” Journal of Labor Economics January 2013, 31(1): 155-194.
“The Effects of Alcohol Use on Academic Achievement in High School” (with Ana Balsa and Michael French), Economics of Education Review February 2011, 30(1): 1-15.
“Racial Bias in the Manager-Employee Relationship: An Analysis of Quits, Dismissals, and Promotions at a Large Retail Firm” (with David I. Levine and Jonathan Leonard), Journal of Human Resources Winter 2011, 46(1): 26-52.
“Customer Discrimination” (with Jonathan Leonard and David I. Levine), The Review of Economics and Statistics August 2010, 92(3): 657-669.
“Manager Race and the Race of New Hires” (with David I. Levine and Jonathan Leonard), Journal of Labor Economics October 2009, 27(4): 589-631.
Teaching and Professional Experience
- Visiting Assistant Professor, University of California-Berkeley, Haas School of Business, August 2008-May 2009
- Post-Doctoral Fellow, University of California-Berkeley, Institute of Industrial Relations, June 2003-June 2004
- Ph.D., Economics, University of California-Berkeley, 2003
- M.A., International Relations, Yale University, 1995
- B.A., Honors, Economics, University of Virginia, 1990
- Labor Economics, Applied Econometrics