- Judgment and decision making
- Behavioral decision theory
- Aesthetics and product design in choice
- Self concept and consumer choice
Shu, Suzanne B. and Claudia Townsend (2014), “Using Aesthetics and Self-affirmation to Encourage Openness to Risky (and Safe) Choices,” Journal of Experimental Psychology: Applied, 20 (March), 22-39.
Townsend, Claudia and Barbara Kahn (2014), “The Visual Preference Heuristic”: The Influence of Visual Versus Verbal Depiction on Assortment Processing, Perceived Variety, and Choice Overload,” Journal of Consumer Research, 40 (5), 993-1015.
Townsend, Claudia and Wendy Liu (2012), “Is Planning Good for You? The Differential Impact of Planning on Self Regulation,” Journal of Consumer Research, 39 (4), 688-703.
Townsend, Claudia and Sanjay Sood (2012), “Self-Affirmation Through the Choice of Highly Aesthetic Products,” Journal of Consumer Research, 39, 2(August), 415-428.
- Reprinted (2013) Volume 40 June Supplement: Research Curations 2012
Townsend, Claudia and Suzanne B. Shu (2010), “When and how aesthetics influences financial decisions,” Journal of Consumer Psychology, 20(4), 452-458.
Teaching and Professional Experience
- Assistant Professor, University of Miami
- Senior Project Manager, Analytics Manager, BuzzBack Market Research
- Associate Analyst, National Economic Research Associates (NERA)
- Ph.D., University of California, Los Angeles, 2010
- B.A., Brown University, 2000
- Marketing Research
- Consumer Behavior