*Note: The Economics Ph.D. Program will not be accepting applicantions for Fall 2017.
The Department of Economics at the University of Miami offers a selective, high quality, Doctor of Philosophy in Economics program.
The PhD program provides a rigorous exposure to microeconomic and macroeconomic theory, monetary theory and policy, and quantitative methods. Priority is assigned to research. Small classes afford each student the opportunity to participate in discussions and benefit from continuous faculty-student interaction. Both the classroom and research components are supplemented by colloquia presented by internationally recognized scholars.
Fields of Specialization
We offer fields in applied microeconomics economics (which includes labor, environmental, and health economics), economic development, international economics, and macroeconomics.
Mission Statement and Program Objectives
Our mission is to attract the best and brightest students to our program, to staff our PhD courses with faculty who excel in research and teaching, and to maintain an environment in which students and faculty work together. We will thus give students the skills, knowledge, and research training in order to produce high-quality dissertations needed for successful careers in the academic, government, and private sectors.
- Maintain a high degree of selectivity by admitting only the most highly qualified applicants.
- Staff the PhD courses with professors who excel in research and teaching.
- Place graduates in the academic, government and private sectors.
- Give students teaching experience.
- Foster an environment in which students and faculty work together to advance the frontier of economic research.