*Application deadline: January 10, 2017
As an academic field, marketing seeks to understand how consumers respond to goods and services offered in markets, and develop tools and methods by which firms can achieve greater efficiency in exchange. The marketing faculty at the University of Miami has a world-renowned reputation for its pioneering contributions to a wide range of areas in both basic theoretical and applied areas of the field. Students admitted to the program will be able to work one-on-one with the faculty to undertake original research in two areas:
- Consumer psychology and behavioral decision making — the study of how individuals make decisions, more specifically how consumers make choices in markets, and how marketing instruments (such as advertising and prices) affect these decisions; and
- Marketing strategy — the study of how firms can use knowledge of consumers and competitors to optimally allocate resources.
Doctoral studies in marketing are designed as a five-year program. Depending on whether students seek to undertake work in the more quantitative areas of the field (marketing research methods and modeling) or behavioral (consumer decision making), they will complete one of two rigorous core-course sequences, one focusing on economics, another on psychology. In addition to completing the core courses students will undertake advanced coursework in their chosen area of study. Upon completion of coursework, students continue with a thorough one-on-one training with one or more faculty mentors in their area.
What makes the University of Miami’s marketing PhD program special?
- Doctoral training in marketing at the University of Miami is distinguished from other programs in the nation by its emphasis on one-on-one mentoring with faculty. We have a high number of research active faculty whose main goal is to work on mentoring and publishing with students. This one-on-one emphasis allows high flexibility in how advanced training is structured.
- We keep our PhD program small. Students entering the marketing PhD program will find themselves in a nurturing and collaborative culture in which the faculty members are accessible and eager to work with them. The result is our students all work closely and in-depth with multiple faculty members and graduate the program with multiple publications and projects in advanced stages.
- The marketing faculty members with whom the doctoral students will interact and collaborate on research projects have published extensively in the discipline’s flagship journals. The faculty includes current and former editors, associated editors, and members of the editorial review boards of the leading journals in the field. Several faculty members have earned national and international recognitions for their scholarly contributions. See a list of faculty members, their expertise, and publications.
- In addition to the ready access to the faculty, doctoral students will have access to other resources to support their research, such as a state-of-the-art behavioral lab and a large subject pool for conducting studies.
- The excellence of our doctoral program can be seen in our recent placement record with every graduating student obtaining faculty positions at top research universities in the country.
If you have any question about the marketing PhD program, contact the PhD program coordinator, professor Juliano Laran (firstname.lastname@example.org).