Welcome New Freshmen!
Freshman First-Semester Course Selection
Welcome to the University of Miami School of Business Administration. We are so glad that you decided to become a ‘Cane!
Part of your transition to college life includes selecting courses for your first semester. This website is intended to help you with that process. Please read the information about our degree requirements and course selection process for first-semester Business students.
Business Students: You will have a temporary “Academic Advising Hold” on your Registration. You must follow the School of Business Administration (SBA) first-semester registration process (see below) in order to have your hold lifted and to be able to enroll in classes for your first semester.
Monday, May 2, 2016—ALEKS Math Placement Assessment Opens
Monday, May 9, 2016—Shopping Carts and Validation Processes Available in CaneLink
Monday, May 16, 2016—Registration Opens in CaneLink. Check your CaneLink "Student Center" "Enrollment Dates."
Monday, May 16, 2016—Last Day to Change School/Major through the Office of Admission
Tuesday, June 21, 2016—Registration on CaneLink Closes for New Freshmen
Tuesday, August 16, 2016—International Student Orientation
Friday, August 19, 2016—Mandatory Academic Dean's Meeting for New Freshman Business Students
Monday, August 22, 2016—Classes Begin
Wednesday, August 31, 2016—Last Day for Registration and to Add a Class
How do I select courses for my first semester at the School of Business Administration?
In order to complete the process for New Freshman Registration in the School of Business Administration you will need to follow the steps below:
- Review the Registration Tutorial.
- Take the ALEKS Math Placement Assessment. All incoming School of Business Freshman must take the ALEKS assessment (EXCEPTION: Students who currently have credit for Calculus I, MTH 161 or 171, on the UM Transcript do not need to take the ALEKS.
- You will report the ALEKS score when you complete and submit the New Freshman Online Course Selection Form below
- An academic advisor from the School of Business will review your submitted information and approve an appropriate math course for you. NOTE: Math courses that fulfill degree requirements for the BBA and BSBA are particular to the School of Business Curriculum and may differ from the University's math placement advice.
- YOU SHOULD NOT ENROLL IN MTH 113 or MTH 130. These courses will not count toward your math requirement for the School of Business. They will be electives.
- Please refer to the School of Business Math Placement page for specific sequencing.
- Review the School of Business First-Semester Freshman Course Selection webpages for more detailed information about all appropriate first-semester courses for Business students.
- Submit your course selection information online through the New Freshman Online Course Selection Form. This is a guided selection process that facilitates appropriate choices for the first semester.
- An academic advisor from the School of Business will review your submission and reply by email with specific course approvals.
- Access CaneLink, select and place approved classes in your shopping cart, validate, and register.